Fact: Deposit insurance is ONLY activated upon closure of a member institution.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will shareholders of an institution receive any part of their investment before depositors’ claims are satisfied?
- Can a depositor leave his/her deposit with the transferee institution?
- If two or more persons, for example a husband and wife, have, in addition to the individually owned accounts of each, a valid joint account in the same insured institution, is each account separately insured?
- What is the current insured limit?
Did You Know?
- Misconception: The Deposit Insurance Corporation (DIC) is empowered to close a member institution. - Fact: A member institution licensed under the Financial Institutions Act, 2008 can only be “closed by or with the approval of The Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago as a result of financial difficulties.”